Break your larger group into small groups of no more than 5 people.
Set up the following scenario with the group:
After your small light aircraft crashes, your group, wearing casual clothing, is stranded on a forested mountain in winter weather, anywhere between 50 and 200 miles from civilization (you are not sure of your whereabouts, and radio contact was lost before you crashed). The plane is about to burst into flames and you only have a few moments to gather some items. Aside from the clothes you are wearing you have no other personal items. It is possible that you may be within mobile phone signal range, but unlikely. Your aim is to survive as a group until rescued.
From the following list choose just ten items that you would take from the plane before it is destroyed by fire.
First you have five minutes by yourself to consider and draw up your own individual list of what the team should have, without consulting with other members of the group. Then you have 10 minutes as a group to discuss and agree a list on behalf of the group.
Each team will then present their list to the larger group and why they chose the items they did.
- Box of matches
- Roll of plastic garbage bags
- 1 case bottled water
- Small toolbox containing hammer, screwdriver, adjustable wrench, and hacksaw
- Box of distress signal flares
- Small basic first-aid kit containing plasters, bandages, antiseptic ointment, small pair of scissors and pain-killer tablets
- Mobile phone with battery half-charged
- Pocket knife
- Box of chocolate bars
- Short hand-held axe
- 10 foot roll of nylon rope
- Box of 24 bags of peanuts
- Box of tissues
- Laptop computer with unknown battery life
- Inflatable 4-person life-raft·Compass
- Large full Aerosol can of insect killer spray
- Notebook and pencil
- Travel game set containing chess, backgammon & deck of cards
- Sewing kit
- Bag of 6 large blankets