Push ups, Sit ups, Planks and the Book of Job
Just like we need to work our muscles and push them, test them, and break them down to build them, the same is true of our faith. It isn’t always easy to see, but sometimes when things come our way that we can’t explain, we have the opportunity to remain faithful to God see what he is teaching us.
- Have a volunteer do 15 pushups. Ask: Where the pushups easy or hard? Why?
- Have another volunteer do 15 sit ups. Ask: Where the sit ups easy or hard? Why?
- Have another volunteer do the plank – 3 minutes.
(If you have enough space, the whole group can try! This will be hard even for someone really in shape).
- What makes this exercise easy or hard to do?
- How do we develop strength?
Explain: We develop muscle and strength by practice, training, and pushing our muscles.
- Does anyone know how muscle is built?
(It is built thought the breakdown and rebuilding of the muscle tissue, pushing to its limit, testing your endurance and building it over time)
Read Job 2:9-10.
- What do you think of Job’s question to his wife? What does he mean?
- When things go wrong, or even badly, who do you blame? What do you agree with his wife? Why or why not?
- Why do we blame God so quickly when things go bad?
- Can you remain faithful to God when trouble comes?