Join the ‘Free Agent’ Pool of Young People Available to Serve on the Boards of Directors of UMC General Agencies for the Next Quadrennium
The Boards and Agencies of The United Methodist Church each work to provide balanced representation on their Boards of Directors. This includes opportunities for youth and young adults to serve a four-year term. Young People's Ministries helps make the General Agencies aware of young people willing to serve and ensure they meet their disciplinary suggestions to have multiple generations of representation. The voices of young people deserve to be empowered and amplified so that we can together advocate for the needs of generations coming into adulthood.
Completing this contact form will enter you into a "free agent" pool of young people who are willing to serve, from which the General Agencies can select youth and young adults to add to their Board of Directors. The final list will be grouped by jurisdiction or region of the church and made available to leadership at the General level of the UMC after the completion of General Conference in 2024.
Note: Forms must be completed and submitted by April 15, 2024.
Filling out this form does not guarantee that you will be selected or serve on a Board of Directors for a General Agency. It does however give you a chance to be reviewed and potentially selected to serve the UMC in a new and exciting way. Click here for information about the Boards and Agencies of the UMC.
You must meet the following parameters for consideration. Please make sure that you are and can do the following:
- If you live in the US, be between the ages of 12-30 in 2024. If you turn 30 prior to July 31, 2024, you are as old as you can be to serve in this role.
- If you live outside the US, be between the ages of 15-35 in 2020. If you turn 35 prior to July 31, 2024, you are as old as you can be to serve in this role.
- Have a government-issued ID or ability to obtain a passport. Some meetings are virtual, and some meetings are in person.
- An active member of a local United Methodist Church and able to confirm membership.
- Be willing to attend multiple meetings per year. Some are in person and require travel. Others are online and require a working internet connection.
- Be willing to work between Board Meetings in order to understand the needs of young people in your context and advocate for the inclusion of young voices in decision-making bodies of the UMC.